Hawick v Boroughmuir

24th September 2016 - HAWICK 36, BOROUGHMUIR 26

Following the encouraging efforts at Mansfield last week, the Greens supporters were more hopeful for the first win of the season and they were not disappointed as Hawick won the game with a bonus point.

It was obvious from the start that the Greens pack was not going to be under the cosh as in previous games this season, and both at line-out and the set scrum, they had the upper-hand. Despite playing into a strong wind for the first half, the home side settled quickly and drew first blood with a Renwick penalty from 30 metres after a ruck infringement. The visitors stand-off was unable to level the scores a few minutes later.

The Hawick defence was at fault for the first try when a break by Boro’s mobile back row fed the left winger who raced in to the corner for an unconverted try. However, Hawick regained the initiative on the half-hour mark when excellent forward pressure gave McNeil to chance to offload to Campbell for a try converted by Renwick and a 10-3 lead.

The visitors then scored a try from nothing when an excellent chip found a Boro’ player out wide for a try in the corner with the visitors 10 converting to regain the lead at 10-12. However, on the stroke of half-time the Mansfield crowd were on their feet as another speculative chip from the visitors found Greens winger Hamilton this time, leading to an “eye-balls out” race for the corner flag and the players went in with Hawick leading by 15-10.

The second half started with a bang as Renwick narrowly missed a penalty followed by a second try from winger Hamilton, when the South African ran a good line, taking the ball at pace through the visitors defence into the corner. Renwick was unable to add the extras but Hawick were 20-12 ahead and by 10 mins, Renwick added a further three points from a penalty from 25 metres out.

The Hawick pack were putting steady pressure on the Boro’ defence and this told when a series of penalties led to a yellow-card for Boro’ scrum half and a further 3 points from Renwick. The visitors always looked dangerous on the ball, particularly from their pacy wingers and the Boro’ 14 ran the length of the pitch for an excellent converted try to narrow the gap to 26-19. However, the Greens responded immediately when Armstrong hit the line at pace, and with his familiar spinning, elusive running, broke several tackles for a bonus point try near the posts, with Renwick again adding the extras.

With 30 mins gone, the visitors again struck as Hawick this time missed several tackles and the Boro’ 14 gave his side a bonus point try, converted by No 10 for 33-26. Hawick, scenting victory by this time, continued to pressure the Boro’ line and Man-of-the-Match Armstrong added three more points from a penalty under the posts. Despite the visitors best efforts, the Greens held firm as the game ran out for a well-earned 36-26 bonus point win and a huge sigh of relief at Mansfield Park.