Ayr v Hawick

Other matches

10th December 2016 - AYR 44, HAWICK 41

The Greens travelled to Ayr on Saturday to play a team 34 points ahead of them in the league as well as having two Glasgow Warriors players playing  and with Hawick having at least eight players unavailable because of a stag party in Barbados and injuries and unavailability.

However, with the home team only getting in front at the last play of the game the Greens can be very proud of their performance which deserved a win without a doubt.

Hawick opened the scoring when the in-form winger, Darcy Graham, showed speed and skill to run in from 35 metres out which full back Kirk Ford smartly converted. It only took Ayr a couple of minutes to get on the scoreboard when one of their two allocated professional players from Glasgow Warriors, Djustice Sears-Duru, barged over from short range to score in the cortner.

The home side landed a penalty through Fraser Climo to give them a narrow 8-7 lead before a flare up involving most players, led to Bruce Campbell and Blair McPherson both receiving yellow cards.

Soon after, Hawick centre Kyle Brunton chipped through only for Darcy Graham to be held up over the line. From the resultant scrum, captain Bruce McNeil, showed good skill to score in the corner, Ford again converted.

Just before half time the home side showed determination for their full back Grant Anderson to score a smart try but Ford landed two penalty goals either side of this try to make it 20 13 for the Greens at the break.

The Robbie Dyes started the second period with a band and it was Calum Mackintosh who showed good speed for a prop forward to score with Ford again converting. Stuart Graham made a good break and, unfortunately, could not get the ball to Ross Gibson, who had a scoring opportunity.

After 45 minutes Darcy Graham got his second try showing great skill and determination when he ran from the half way to leave at least five Ayr players in his wake. Ford converted to make the score 34 13.

It was all very surreal with the home team strangely subdued. However, 3 tries in six minutes soon changed that. McLuskey, Hunter and Gossman all grounded with Climo converting one.

The referee issued his third yellow card of the day to Darcy Graham allegedly interfered with the ball which helped Gossman get his second try and Climo conversion to take the score to 35 34 for the home side.

The visitors were not finished yet, and despite being under a lot of pressure, second row forward Keith McNeil  scored an excellent try from close range with Ford converting to take to 41 37 for the Greens with less than 10 minutes remaining.

There were a series of scrums in the last minute which the referee seemed to struggle controlling and Hawick received their third yellow card from Wes Hamilton before Ayr broke the visitors hearts by scoring with the last play of the game from a set scrum when Russell scored with Anderson converting to finish the scoring.

An amazing game of rugby and the Greens can hold their heads high and even the home support were saying they did not deserve the win.

Man of the match was Darcy Graham who showed great pace as well as skill during the game.



“Very hard result for us to take today for us @HawickRFC but a colossal effort from everyone involved. Very proud to wear the jersey of my town.”  David Lowrie