Gala v Hawick
Photo Album here

Other matches

28th January 2017 - GALA 23, HAWICK 15.

The second meeting of three in six weeks with old rivals Gala in this BT Cup tie kicked off in cold and wet conditions in front of a reasonable support for both teams. The Greens were missing a handful of established players but had some of their young talent on show.

Understandably, there were a number of handling errors from both sides due to the conditions and the first few minutes saw Hunter and Weir exchange penalties with Hunter adding a second shortly afterwards.

Gala were first into their stride however, when pressure combined with less than effective Hawick tackling gave space for the Maroons to run in for a converted try.

Hawick responded well, however, and shortly before the interval, good ball from a ruck gave Kyle Brunton the chance to sell a classic dummy pass and run in close to the posts where, unselfishly, he slipped the ball to Huggan on his shoulder for a converted score. Hunter missed a penalty chance a few minutes later and the interval came with the teams close on 13-10.

The second half started well for the home team when penalty at a ruck led to a 5 metre line out from which the Gala backs manufactured a gap for the winger to run in. Hunter made no mistake and the home were ahead 20-10. The match settled into a somewhat scrappy affair with little for the crowd to cheer but, after 28 minutes, Kirk Ford was judged to have deliberately knocked on leading to a yellow card for him and another 3 points from Hunter’s boot.

Hawick turned the pressure up and with Hutton on the field and showing some familiar touches, the Greens back division cut through the Gala defence for a try from Lee Armstrong. Armstrong was unable to add the extras, though, leaving the visitors still needing two scores with 5 mins remaining. Despite a few close calls, the home defence managed to hold firm at the cost of a meaningless yellow card to their scrum-half with 30 seconds remaining. The game ended with a Gala win at 23-15 and they now progress to the next round.

All the Greens focus now will be on the critical league match in two weeks time!