Hawick v Heriots
Photo Album here

Other matches

6th January 2018 - HAWICK 24, HERIOTS 23

The Greens had as their first foot Heriots, who were currently second in the table, while the Greens were propping up the BT Premiership table in tenth place.

In this rearranged game cancelled before Christmas for frost, Hawick were looking to avenge the 70-7 drubbing they received in September at Goldenacre.

There was an amazing start to the game when the referee issued a yellow card in the first minute to Heriots flanker, Iain Wilson for a late charge.

This seemed to give the Greens a lift and after some torrid forward play prop Shawn Muir buried his way over in the corner. Five minutes later, Guy Graham, made an excellent break and the ball eventually came to winger Gary Munro who scored a try in the corner too far out to be converted. 10-0 to the Greens. Heriots opened their account with a penalty goal but a few minutes before half time, visiting flanker, Michael Maltman, was given a red card for dangerous play.

Once again this lifted the Greens and captain Bruce McNeil scored a well taken try which Lee Armstrong converted to give the home side an impressive 17-3 lead at half time.

The second half was a different story and it was Heriots who showed they were up for the fight. Two yellow cards to Darcy Graham and Keith Davies did help the visitors who scored two well taken tries from Martin Hughes and Rory Carmichael. The impressive stand off Stuart Edwards converted both tries and a penalty goal as well as Jones landing a penalty goal to give Goldenacre team a 23-17 lead.

With the clock nearing 80 minutes the Greens were awarded a scrum five metres out from the Heriots try line. The Greens pack shunted Heriots off the ball but the referee asked for another scrum. Same again, the Greens got the shove on and a Bruce McNeil/Darcy Graham combination saw the Edinburgh professional score under the posts to give the home team their fourth try and a bonus point, with the conversion to come.

The cool, calm and collected Lee Armstrong landed the conversion from in front of the posts to give the Greens a bonus point win much to the delight of the home support who also played their part in the game with their encouragement towards the team.

Man of the Match was Greens prop forward Shawn Muir.