Hawick v Ayr
Photo Album here

Other matches

10th February - HAWICK 20, AYR 13

Hawick were determined to wipe the memory of a heavy defeat at Watsonians last week when they welcomed a strong Ayr team to Mansfield Park for a BT Cup quarter final tie.

It was the visitors who started the stronger and they showed their intentions with two penalty goals in the first 15 minutes from stand off Scott Lyle to give them a 6-0 lead.

The home defence had to be at its best to keep Ayr out and then the Greens got the first try of the game with some great work between forwards and backs which saw second row Dalton Redpath score a deserved try, which Lee Armstrong converted to give the Greens a 7-6 lead.

Just before the interval, referee Peter Allan, showed a yellow card to both skippers and number 8, Bruce McNeil for Hawick and Peter McCallum for Ayr after they had traded punches.

For the second half, the Greens had a slight wind behind them “playing to Denholm” and winger Gary Munro landed a monster penalty goal from a metre inside his own half to give the Greens a 10-6 lead.

Ayr were not lying down and after some good work by their half backs, hooker Lewis Anderson, scored a good try converted by Lyle to give them a three point lead.

Not for the first time this season at Mansfield Park, the Greens raised the tempo of the game and winger Ross Combe scored an opportunist try on the house mark that Lee Armstrong converted to give the home side a 17-13 lead.

The Greens defence was frustrating their visitors and Hawick were awarded another penalty just near the half way line. Up stepped Gary Munro again and he walloped it straight between the uprights to give the Greens a splendid 20 13 win and a place in the semi final of the BT Cup.

Coach George Graham will be frustrated at some of the lineout misses but the coaches can take great credit for the result against good opposition who they play again next week at Millbrae, but this time a BT Premiership game which is hugely important to both sides.